Monday, May 30, 2011

Designing Fabric with Spoonflower

Have you ever heard of Spoonflower?  If you haven't, you're missing out!

Basically, it is a service that allows you to design your own fabric and then they print it for you.  What's more is that they do it all for what I think is a very reasonable price.  For a grand total of $US 24.20 I received a yard of my designed fabric printed on quilting weight cotton.

My fabric arrived in the mail late last week and even though I wasn't 100% happy with it initially, I must say it has grown on me:


There are two things I would change on this design - the colour of the red (I was expecting a more cherry red) and the size of the font (I was expecting it to be bigger).  But at the end of the day, it still looks great even if it wasn't what I was expecting.

Now all I need to do is turn it into something functional.  I have a cushion cover cut out for the new nursery - I just haven't gotten around to sewing it yet (ergh, I wish I'd remember to take photos during the day with natural light, rather than of a night):


If you don't think you're up for the challenge of designing your own fabric there are plenty of designers who have released their designs to the public, so make sure you swing on by Spoonflower and take a look!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. It really means the world to me! Enjoy your day xx