Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Ergh.... Decal Drama's!

Today was one of those days where my crafting endeavors really didn't go as planned....

Since I had been out all morning doing various odd jobs it was around 3pm before I decided that I should 'get my creative on'.  Funnily enough it was a project that I had been procrastinating about for the last two weeks that I decided to tackle - printing an image I had created in illustrator onto decal paper and then placing it on a vintage plate.

To start with, the instructions I had for using the decal paper were a little difficult to understand.  At least that is what I am telling myself.  I know that my ability to process written instructions leaves a lot to be desired so that could have definitely been a contributing factor.  Either way, I found it difficult to work out what to do with the two pieces of paper used in creating a decal, but I stumbled along anyway.

After printing the image onto the decal paper, I temporarily 'flipped out' when I realised that I hadn't printed the image in reverse (which is typically what you do when printing onto these types of paper).  I calmed down a bit and just decided that I'd do a trial run and stick the decal to a piece of laminating paper, since there was a piece right beside me.  

Imagine my surprise when I realised that the image was the right way round and that I hadn't needed to print the image in reverse!  Because the decal was still wet, I was able to relocate it from the laminating paper onto the plate I originally wanted to put it on - Hooray..... Success.....but that success was short lived:


You see the instructions called for the use of a rubber squeegee, which I had picked up at the hardware store earlier in the week.  I had explained to the guy there exactly what I was doing and he had given me this device, claiming it would do exactly what I wanted it to:


Since I figured there was only one type of rubber squeegee, I paid my $5.40 and went on my way.  If I had have turned the device over, I probably would have questioned whether it would REALLY do what I wanted it to do.  A 'Handyman Grouter'.... seriously? *sigh*


The job of the 'rubber squeegee' was to push all of the air bubbles out from under the decal to make it nice and smooth.  Perhaps if I was going to put my decal on the side of a building the handyman grouter might have done the job, but I wanted my decal on a plate.  A dainty little plate:


Needless to say, the handman grouter was much too big and inflexible to get the air bubbles out successfully:


Still, I pressed on and baked my plate and sure enough the decal attached itself firmly, albeit lumpy and bumpy!:


I do have plans of putting some writing on the plate at some point but I haven't decided what that writing will say yet.  Once done I think this plate is destined to adorn my studio to serve as a reminder that sometimes things don't go as planned!

Anyway, my day improved considerably when I received this lovely 'Thank You' card in the mail from Melissa, who won the scarf giveaway a couple of weeks ago:


How lovely is that!

2 comments:

  1. A tip to get air bubbles out of a decal.

    Use a credit card or any similar type of plastic card or use a white cotton glove to move and squeeze the air out.

    When we were printing our own decals, we supplied a white cotton glove with every purchase to make installation easier.

    Maryanne from Little Bird Decor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laminating Paper - We offer a range of flexible packaging papers for a variety of uses including greaseproof packaging papers, one side coated, Postage Stamp Paper, Face Papers and laminated packaging papers. Contact for more details about packaging paper.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. It really means the world to me! Enjoy your day xx