Monday, April 9, 2012

Why I chose a sugar free Easter

You may remember that I declared a while back that I was going to cut down on the amount of sugar I was consuming. 

Well that lasted a couple of weeks, but then after a week or two of being up 5 or 6 times a night with Lexi sick it kind of started creeping in to my diet again.  Before I knew it, I was having a soy caramel cappuccino every day (sometimes even two) and eating honey straight from the jar - ergh!

If you don't know about the effects of sugar on the body then you should definitely educate yourself.  It is a real problem and one that is only going to get worse.  The fact that sugar has been coined "the culinary comparison of cocaine" due to how addictive it is, is enough for me to want to cut sugar out of my diet.  Watch this video if you want to know more about the effects of sugar on the body:  Toxic Sugar

Anyway, my aunty suggested we make April a sugar free month and I agreed.  It wasn't long though before I started thinking about Easter and feeling like I might be missing out if I didn't consume enough chocolate to feed a small country.

So instead, I started focusing on other things that we could do over the Easter break that didn't revolve around chocolate and hot cross buns.  This is how the First Annual Easter Games was born!

Instead of our family sitting on our bums consuming copious amounts of chocolate, we did some sack racing:


Egg and spoon races:


and even some three legged races:


I had the best Easter I have EVER had.  And guess what?!?  I didn't die from not eating any chocolate or Hot Cross Buns...  It's a miracle!

Matty said he had a great time too and suggested that perhaps we could have a similar type of game day around Christmas time, so it must have been fun!

At this point I can't say that I will never eat sugar again, but I think that Dr Robert Lustig's recommendation of eating no more than 100 calories a day (150 calories for men) from added sugar could be something I could definitely adhere to.

I hope you all had a wonderful Easter

2 comments:

  1. AWESOME! That's really inspiring Michelle, and I love the idea of replacing sugar with FUN! Good work. Jenny and I watched 'hungry for change' documentary the other night... while eating chocolate... which we didn't feel so good about!! Great doco, haven't heard of Toxic Sugar.

    Drug free - that's the dream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. alex jone super male vitality super male vitality infowars meme super male vitality lee ann mcadoo alex jones taking male vitality male sexual vitality tonic This male prosperity enhancer has benefits like it assembles essentialness and augmentations in magnetism. This supplement has an also favored outlook of extending the traverse, size, and hardness of your erection with a more grounded sexual drive. Instructions to utilize Vitality RX
    http://www.cureidea.com/vitality-male-enhancement/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. It really means the world to me! Enjoy your day xx