Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Tutorial - How to Make Paper Seedling Pots

Because we didn't have enough toilet rolls to house the seedlings for our veggie garden, I decided I would also make some paper seedling pots. Here is how I made them.

You will need:

Newspaper
String (Jute)
Scissors
A can
Seedling Mix

Here is how you do it:

Take a sheet of newspaper. Fold it in half and then in half again:

Pop your can on top of the newspaper like so:

Roll the can up:


Secure it with string:


Turn the can so that the bottom is facing up:


Fold in the edges, like so:


Shake the can out (while holding the bottom in place with your hand):


Still holding the bottom in place, make four cuts (around an inch long) around the top of the paper pot and fold down:


I then tuck my cut edges in under the string, just because it is more aesthetically pleasing:


Next put your paper pot onto a flat surface (I use an old baking tray) and fill with seedling mix:


All done!

I actually prefer to use toilet rolls for my vegetable seeds as the paper pots use a bit more seedling mix than I would like. These pots would be perfect for growing cuttings in though!

When you go to plant the seedlings that you grow, simply put the whole paper pot in the ground. The jute and the newspaper will break down over time. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. It really means the world to me! Enjoy your day xx