Sunday, June 17, 2012

Getting back on track after an eating binge!

It is common knowledge that if you don't have something nice to say, then you don't say anything at all, right? But what happens if someone doesn't realise that what they have to say isn't necessarily nice and as a result you get hurt feelings?

I had that happen to me last week. Words like "overboard", "controlling" and "ridiculous" were thrown around by a couple of people to describe me and the things I do on a day to day basis. I must have been feeling a bit fragile as I took it to heart....and then I turned to my good friend, sugar, for comfort.....and then I broke my supermarket ban and bought piles of stuff we didn't really need. Awesome!

I am at the end of a four day sugar binge and I feel terrible, but I thought it might be a good time to share with you the ways that I get back on track when my eating becomes a tad undesirable.

First up I exercise, even if I don't feel like it. In the warmer months I go out for a run, in the cooler months I just jump on the exercise bike (which I hate, but I do anyway). I also try and squeeze in a bit of strength training while the kids are playing. Just a couple of pushups, pullups, squats, lunges and planks, which all add up by the end of the day. This helps improve my mood and makes me feel more positive about things.

I make sure I drink a tonne of water and green tea (yes, I do spend a lot of time going to the toilet) and on occasions where I have been indulging in a lot of grains, I make up a batch of ginger tea to soothe my poor achy breaky tummy.

I obviously concentrate a lot on the foods I eat, making sure I eat a pile of vegetables and other healthy things like coconut oil (which helps with the sugar cravings). I try not to eat any fruit for a couple of days as that tends to make me want sugar even more.

I spend a lot of time being nice to myself, thinking about all of the things I am grateful for in my life as well as the qualities I like in myself. I also try to tackle a project that I think will be fun and which also serves as a distraction of an evening when the desire to eat sugar is at its highest.

I get as much sleep as I possibly can, which isn't all that difficult since I am usually so tired from eating badly that I can barely keep my eyes open anyway. So I nap when the kids do and I go to bed nice and early for a couple of nights.

After about three of days I find that things start getting a bit easier and I slide back in to my normal eating habits of no grains and no refined sugars. It is pretty tough work but well worth it, especially if you are like me and get really, REALLY cranky when you eat too much crap!

I will leave you with this picture of a raw brownie that my aunty sent to me last week:


Hell yes! I will definitely be making some of those!

2 comments:

  1. Bastards saying those things to you!
    Really! Some people give me the willies.
    Grrr!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My binge eating usually comes to an end when winter ends! I am far too in love with rich winter desserts for my own good. And it's been so long since I've exercised that even my Wii gave me attitude!

    Hope all of these helps you get back on top of the world

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. It really means the world to me! Enjoy your day xx