Monday, July 18, 2011

Tutorial : Upcycling a Vintage Frame

Today I am going to tell you a bit about the vintage frame I used in the baby's nursery and how I transformed it from this:


Into this:


I picked up the frame from Blonde Vintage for a mere $10.  Generally the frame was in pretty good condition except for a chunk taken out of one of the sides:


I used a wood putty to patch it up as best I could:


And while it wasn't perfect once I sanded it down, it was certainly a lot better:


While I was waiting for the putty to dry I removed the picture from the frame, which was held in with a couple of crusty old nails:


Once all that was complete, I primed the frame using a spray on primer.  I am in LOVE with that stuff.  So much easier than using the paint-it-on type:


The final step was to paint the frame red with an acrylic paint before hanging it on the wall:



I think the hardest part of this frame revamp was having the foresight to see that something so ugly could be transformed into a lovely piece.  

The key was to look at the frame itself.  The detail in it is so much better than the frames you buy today:


So I guess the moral of the story is to not judge a frame by it's picture?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. It really means the world to me! Enjoy your day xx